Research & Development
Animal Health & Welfare
- Biological control of facial eczema using atoxigenic Pithomyes dsartarum.
- Significance of ryegrass endophyte effects on beef production.
- Improved diagnosis of vitamin B12 status and requirements.
- An investigation of the effects of soil manganese (Mn) on the availability
of soil cobolt (Co) for plant uptake and animal health.
- Molybdenum, sulpher, copper interactions on copper absorption in pasture
- Facial exzema control: on-farm assessment of promising alternative pasture
species and their management.
- Optimisation of pre-slaughter feeding.
- The epidemiology and control of Johne's disease in cattle in New Zealand.
- Development of a defined subunit vaccine against Johne's disease.
- Objective methods of measuring animal welfare.
- Identifying the causes of pleurisy through a multi-disciplinary team.
- New technologies and information for meat industry co-products.
- New methods of production of dried collagen.
- Reducing environmental impacts of animal processing.
- Science-based information on meat borne bacteria.
Maximum Growth Rate
- Management options for control of clover root weevil.
- Improved effeciency of meat production through modern nutitional
- Increasing pasture persistence.
- Enhancing farmer understanding and management of pasture quality.
- Nutitive value of pasture and its impact on meat production.
- Improving summer/autumn animal performance and high quality alternatives
to high endophyte ryegrass.
- Using chemical topping to prevent pasture reversion.
- On-farm and pre-slaughter treatment effects on beef tenderness.
- Optimising processing for market-defined meat quality.
- Meat product attributes relating to customer desires.
- Development of new refridgeration technigues.
- Improving worker performance and safety.
- Assessment of the ergonomics and cross contaminaton risk from the use of
smooth impervious gloves in pre-inspection areas of adult beef processing
- Production of prime beef animals basedon embryo micromanupulation, embryo
sexing and embryo mulitplication technologies.
Calf Rearing Systems
- Research into economically effecient calf rearing systems at Poukawa.
- Annual road-show of calf-rearing seminars in conjunction with Alaistair
Ormond and NZ Beef Council.